Have you been tasked with aligning your lesson plans with Common Core Standards? Start here to learn how to design formative assessments aligned to the Common Core.
1. Remember assessment “Standards Are Not About Procedure“!
Assessment is a skill for any teacher. The manner in which you apply the information you learn will make all the difference.
2. Know the difference between formative and summative assessments.
Take the time to do your professional development when using assessment in your classroom.
3. Measure students at a deep level of understanding.
Resist the temptation to create quick and shallow assessments. You hate busy work and so do your students.
4. Stay clear in your objectives
Keep a smooth continuum from grade-to-grade for what students are expected to know and be able to do.
5. Get a regular schedule for reviewing assessments
Take the time to think through your assessment planning and strategy on a weekly and monthly basis.
6. Pay attention not just to the context of each standard but also to the verbs.
Assessment is not a one-and-done process. You must constantly review your results and make the changes necessary to ensure that students are understanding your lessons.
7. Use technology tools to track and measure your formative assessment data.
Want to learn more? Earn CEUs and dive deeper into this topic in the Teacher Learning Community.